Who are the medical specialists that treat leukemia?
What is a Hematologist?
A hematologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the care of patients with disorders of the blood, bone marrow and lymphatic system. Hematologists can work in a variety of environments, including hospitals, blood banks, diagnostic laboratories, and private clinics
Specialists in this branch of medicine can also choose to focus on specific topics within the field. For example, a hematologist oncologist specializes in the treatment of blood cancers, such as leukemia.
What is an Oncologist?
An oncologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. There are three main types of oncologists:
- Medical oncologist—treats cancer using chemotherapy or other medications
- Radiation oncologist—uses radiation to treat cancer
- Surgical oncologist—removes tumors and nearby tissue during surgery and can perform certain types of biopsies to help diagnose cancer.
What Other Specialists are Involved in Patient Care?
Patient care may involve a multidisciplinary group of hematologists, medical and radiation oncologists, laboratory physicians, nurses, pharmacists and social workers
What Factors Should I Consider When Choosing a Doctor?
This can be a difficult and personal decision. Factors to consider are listed below:
- Is the doctor an oncologist with expertise in treating the specific blood cancer that is suspected or diagnosed?
- Is the doctor's affiliated hospital or treatment centre accredited and experienced in the treatment of blood cancers?
- Is the doctor able to discuss all treatment options like standard treatment and when appropriate, clinical trial options?
- Am I comfortable with the style and level of communication with the doctor and his/her healthcare team?
- How often will I need to visit the doctor, and is transportation or the cost of transportation and housing an issue?
Which Ontario Hospitals Treat Leukemia?
For specific information you can click on the websites below:
- Princess Margaret Hospital (Toronto)
- Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario at Kingston General Hospital (Kingston)
- The Carlo Fidani Peel Regional Cancer Centre at The Credit Valley Hospital
- Grand River Regional Cancer Centre (Kitchener-Waterloo)
- Juravinski Regional Cancer Centre (Hamilton)
- London Regional Cancer Program
- The Odette Cancer Centre (Formerly Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre)
- The Ottawa Hospital Regional Cancer Centre
- Regional Cancer Care at Thunder Bay
- Lakeridge Health, Durham Region
- Stronach Regional Cancer Centre at the Southlake Regional Health Centre, (Newmarket)
- Windsor Regional Cancer Centre